Wind River Delivers Extensive Product Support for Motorola's New MPC8250 and MPC8241 Processors
Wind River and Motorola Execute on Center of Excellence to Provide Integrated Solution for Networking, Telecommunications Markets
ALAMEDA, Calif., December 5, 2001 — Wind River Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq:WIND), a leading provider of software and services for connected smart devices, today announced a wide array of product support for Motorola's recently announced MPC8250 and MPC8241 processors. Key Wind River software and development tools, including the market-leading VxWorks real-time operating system (RTOS) and Tornado integrated development environment (IDE), are now fully available for these communications processors from Motorola. The MPC8250 and MPC8241 processors are well suited for a number of key market segments including data communications, storage and telecommunications. In related news, Wind River also now supports the latest version of Motorola's MPC8245 processor.
Through Motorola and Wind River's Center of Excellence relationship (see related announcement, Wind River, Motorola Create Center of Excellence to Deliver Leading Software for Prominent PowerPC Microprocessors, February 12, 2001), Wind River is able to quickly support leading communications processors upon their release with complete, end-to-end solutions for hardware and software development. Full software and development tool support available early on in the processor life cycle is a key consideration for developers implementing new processors in their embedded designs.
"Wind River is a key member of Motorola's Smart Networks Alliance–delivering customer solutions that can significantly accelerate development time for networking and communications equipment designers," stated Thomas Fehr, director of platform strategy for Motorola's Networking and Computing Systems Group. "Further enhancing Motorola's Smart Networks Platform, Wind River's continued support of our leading processors–including the recently announced MPC8250 and MPC8245–displays the effectiveness and benefit that the Center of Excellence relationship delivers to our Smart Networks customers."
"Wind River is pleased to once again deliver on our Center of Excellence relationship with early support for Motorola's latest communications processors," said John Fogelin, vice president and general manager of Wind River's Platforms business unit. "No other embedded supplier can match the breadth and depth of Wind River's integrated product offering for Motorola's leading communications processors, including debuggers, compilers, control emulators, real-time operating systems and other tools crucial for developers needing to get their products to market on-time and on-budget."
Wind River Support for the MPC8250 and MPC8241 Processors
This robust product offering enables embedded system developers to bring up new hardware, solve tough hardware-software integration issues and facilitate the production and test of completed products. Specifically, Wind River offers developers using these processors:
- Diab™ C/C++ compiler — Highly optimized compiling solution supporting both the MPC8241 and MPC8250 processors.
- Tornado® II IDE — Complete development environment providing GNU and Diab compiler support, SingleStep for Tornado II software debugger, the VxWorks RTOS and board support packages supporting the MPC8241 and MPC8250 processors for the Motorola Sandpoint evaluation system.
- Tornado AE — Wind River's most advanced platform with full memory protection. Featuring the VxWorks AE RTOS and board support packages supporting the MPC8241 and MPC8250 processors for the Motorola Sandpoint evaluation system.
- Complete Networking Solutions — Wind River offers networking equipment vendors integrated software platforms and development environments including Tornado for Managed Switches geared toward manufacturers of data networking, switch, and router equipment and Tornado for Home Gateways for developing broadband access gateway equipment.
- Network stacks — A wide variety of network stacks are available to help developers build data communication, telecom, and storage applications based on these processors. Among the offerings are WindNet™ TCP/IP, OSPFv2, BGP-4, PIM, PPP, Multilink PPP, MPLS, ATM, SIP, Mageco/MGCP, SS7, ISDN, IPSec, IKE, L2TP, RADIUS, NAT, 802.11b, Bluetooth, and IPv6, Envoy™ SNMPv1/v2c/v3, and the RapidControl™ line of device management products.
- Java Solutions — Personal JWorks™ is a complete implementation of Sun Microsystems´ PersonalJava Application Environment (PJAE) on Wind River's VxWorks RTOS. Personal JWorks is certified for full compatibility with the PersonalJava specification and allows developers to embed Java into their applications.
- visionPROBE II, visionICE II, visionCLICK, and SingleStep with vision — Hardware-assisted debugging solutions including real-time target control, source-level debugging, high speed downloads to the target, flash programming and built-in hardware diagnostics.
- SBC8250 reference board — A solid platform for both hardware and software engineers to use in prototyping MPC8250 processor-based designs and a live target for developing and testing code. The board will be available with a Wind River-validated board support package and visionBOOT boot loader and board diagnostics.
These products compliment Wind River's comprehensive support for Motorola's family of processors that implement the PowerPC architecture, including the MPC6xx, MPC7xx, MPC8xx, MPC74xx, and MPC82xx families.
The Diab C/C++ compiler suite, Tornado II, Tornado AE, Java solutions, and the networking stacks are all available today supporting the MPC8250, MPC8241 and faster MPC8245 processors. The hardware-assisted tools, including software debuggers, single board computer, and emulators will be made available in 2002.
About Wind River
Wind River is a worldwide leader in embedded software and services for creating connected smart devices. Wind River provides software development tools, real-time operating systems, and advanced connectivity for use in products throughout the Internet, telecommunications and data communications, digital imaging, digital consumer electronics, networking, medical, computer peripherals, automotive, industrial automation and control, and aerospace/defense markets. Wind River is How Smart Things Think™. Founded in 1983, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide.
Wind River Systems, the Wind River Systems logo, Diab, Tornado, SingleStep, VxWorks, Envoy, RapidControl, and WindNet are registered trademarks or trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective companies.
Director, Global Communications