Wind River Adds Recently Acquired Graphics Solution to Industry’s Most Comprehensive Software Development Portfolio
Wind River Integrates Tilcon Graphics Suite, Enhances Value of its Software Platforms Across Target Vertical Markets
ALAMEDA, CA — September 2, 2009 — Wind River today announced the immediate availability of Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite 5.7, a development solution for building and deploying multi-platform, highly usable graphical user interfaces (GUI) for embedded applications. The new graphics suite, the result of Wind River's acquisition of Tilcon Software in February 2009, further extends Wind River's software development portfolio, features tighter integration with VxWorks and is the first version of the Tilcon Graphics Suite to provide standard support for Wind River Linux.
In today's competitive device marketplace, the end-user experience serves as a key point of differentiation for manufacturers, and often dictates device adoption rates and company sales. However, traditional approaches for developing embedded GUIs are time consuming, costly and engineering-driven. Specifically, interface development involves significant amounts of complex coding, creating costly testing and validation efforts on products for even the most minor user interface update.
Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite 5.7 allows manufacturers to more easily produce rich user interfaces for their devices and at a lower cost than traditional GUI software. This process is driven by the solution's two unique components:
- Tilcon Interface Development Tool (IDT) — Tilcon IDT offers an innovative and agile host simulation approach to GUI design and development, allowing users to design, prototype, simulate and test an embedded GUI early in development without coding and before writing any product code.
- Tilcon GUI Engine — A run-time platform that runs on the device's operating system and integrates all device applications, hardware and software with the developed user interface, running applications and processes while displaying the results for the user. The GUI engine allows graphics changes to be made throughout the process without impacting the underlying application code, reducing time-to-market.
As part of its integration into the company's product portfolio, the new Tilcon Graphic Suite now offers target support packages (TSP) for VxWorks 6.7 and Wind River Linux 3.0. When combined with either of these industry leading platforms, the Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite provides customers and partners with improved usability and workflow, along with many other benefits that come with adopting a single, fully integrated software development solution and support from a single supplier. Additional highlights of Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite 5.7 include:
- Expanded host support including Windows Vista and Linux;
- Broad set of comprehensive tutorials;
- Tighter integration with other Wind River products with a new Wind River Workbench application template, updated Tilcon Scalability Tool integrated with Wind River Workbench and a TSP for VxWorks Simulator; and
- Consistency with other Wind River products by using Wind River licensing and installer.
"With the advent of less expensive display hardware and more capable processing power, graphics is moving from a high-end requirement into mainstream applications in various vertical segments," said Marc Brown, vice president of marketing and strategy, VxWorks Product Division, Wind River. "With complementary customers, partners and target vertical markets, Wind River made a strong commitment to quickly integrate Tilcon's embedded graphics solutions into Wind River's product portfolio. Delivering Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite 5.7 within six months of the acquisition exemplifies this commitment, and continues to strengthen and extend Wind River's value proposition as an embedded vendor that can deliver the full spectrum of device software requirements."
Additional details about Wind River Tilcon Graphics Suite 5.7 are available at http://www.windriver.com/products/graphics/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop, run and manage device software faster, better, at lower cost and more reliably. Wind River platforms are pre-integrated, fully standardized, enterprise-wide development solutions. They reduce effort, cost and risk and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the device software development process, from concept to deployed product.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, Calif., with operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.
Director, Global Communications