The automotive industry is revving up to turn the in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) system into the focal point for the intelligent connected car. Next-generation IVI systems will serve as the command center that connects critical telematics functionality with access to multimedia and driver-defined applications, all presented in a sophisticated human-machine interface that delivers a unique driving experience. For IVI system suppliers, building complex differentiated products and realizing market success starts with choosing a proven, standards-based run-time platform provided by a company with a solid track record in the automotive industry—such as Wind River®.
Wind River Platform for Infotainment is a Linux-based, GENIVI®-compliant run-time platform specifically tuned for the IVI market. The platform takes full advantage of open source community innovations and flexibility while leveraging the Wind River comprehensive build system and development tools, providing a solid foundation on top of which to add functional differentiation and value-add applications. IVI system developers use our commercial-grade platform to reduce overall development cost, minimize project risk, and shorten project timelines.
Wind River Platform for Infotainment Structure
- Open source Linux-based run-time
- Support for GENIVI specifications
- Optional fast-boot optimization
- Optional connectivity components for iPod® and other devices
- Optional Qt or HTML5 graphics layer
- Support for Linux real-time extensions (PREEMPT_RT)
- Comprehensive development toolchain
- BitBake build system
- Wind River Workbench for run-time observation and analysis with, for example, performance, tracing, memory profiling, and data analysis tools
- Support for multiple BSPs from, e.g., Texas Instruments, Renesas, and Freescale
- Full commercial support, available for dispersed global teams with local time-zone and language requirements
- GENIVI compliance
- Out-of-the-box Yocto Project compatibility
- Detailed test plans, test results, and IP manifest to reduce time-to-market
- Access to multiple open source add-ons
- Broad semiconductor support for greatest hardware flexibility
- Commercially supported toolchain with run-time observation, debugger, and memory profiling
- Custom on-site installation
- Full support by award-winning Wind River global support organization
- Comprehensive documentation specific to automotive customers
- Indemnification on open source components (warranty on binary only) to reduce project risk
- No GPLv3 components in delivery
Customer success is always our top priority. Wind River has been helping industry leaders deliver innovative embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in more than 1 billion products. We have a long history in the automotive market and offer a pre-validated, pre-integrated software solution that puts your innovation capabilities in the driver's seat. Combined with our award-winning long-term support and customization/optimization services, Wind River Platform for Infotainment delivers the optimal solution for your next infotainment device.
Learn more »
GENIVI Alliance, where Wind River is a founding member and key contributor, is committed to driving the broad adoption of an IVI open source development platform. The alliance provides Tier 1 software system suppliers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) with a well-defined, powerful, and reliable foundation on which to build IVI devices.
Learn more about GENIVI Alliance.
Wind River Platform for Infotainment leverages the open innovations in the Yocto Project™, an open source collaboration that provides templates, tools, and methods to help create custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the hardware architecture.
Learn more about the Yocto Project.
Learn more »
Wind River Platform for Infotainment supports all Wind River Linux 5 or later BSPs and Yocto Project Compatible BSPs, including:
- Renesas: R-Car
- Texas Instruments: Jacinto 5 and 6 EVM
- Freescale: i.MX 53 or i.MX 6
- Intel: Atom Crossville
- ARM: Cortex-A8, A15, and Cortex-A9
For any technical or business challenge, the Wind River Professional Services team offers a valuable blend of architectural design, expert technical skills, industry-specific knowledge, intellectual property (IP) creation, and process and project management methodology that can extend the capabilities of any engineering team.
As part of our comprehensive automotive solution, the Wind River Professional Services Automotive Practice consists of a team of engineers with extensive industry experience delivering design, integration, and optimization services tailored to the needs of our automotive customers. Combined with Wind River Education Services and our worldwide support organization, our Automotive Practice improves time-to-revenue by delivering reliable, high-quality solutions quickly and cost-effectively. Customers can utilize the Wind River team of experts to achieve product success and market realization.
Learn more »