With the growing number of connected devices, network operators face two huge challenges:
Increase performance and find efficient and scalable ways to handle the explosion in network traffic.
Expand network services to achieve higher average revenue per user (ARPU).
Conquer the performance challenges and open the door to a world of new services with Wind River® Application Acceleration Engine.
Application Acceleration Engine is a comprehensive, optimized network stack designed for the acceleration of layer 3 and 4 network protocols and the applications that run above them. With Application Acceleration Engine, network applications of all kinds, both legacy and next generation, can significantly improve performance and enable a number of new, high-value, and extremely intelligent network services. Application Acceleration Engine is a key component of Wind River Intelligent Network Platform.
Wind River Application Acceleration Engine works in the data plane in conjunction with Linux. It has been fine-tuned for Intel® multi-core processors and communications platforms. Application Acceleration Engine builds on the performance of Intel Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) to accelerate networking applications of all kinds, and security components such as deep packet inspection (DPI) and virtual private network (VPN) technologies. It includes the following features:
- Accelerates any network application that leverages Linux and Intel DPDK—both existing legacy and next generation applications.
- Full integration and expansion with Intel DPDK
- Data plane support for User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), including BSD sockets interface and cooperative scheduler
- Full support for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and applications
- Accelerated VPN termination with IPsec support in the data plane and synchronization with IKE strongSwan in the management plane
- Cryptography and asynchronous hardware-accelerated cryptography support
- Virtual routing and forwarding (VRF)
- Link aggregation group (LAG)
- Simulated interface support
- Acceleration of software-enabled DPI
- Full source code delivery for custom extensions
- Quick installation of full network stack within minutes
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Quality of Service (QoS)
- Intelligent Socket Layer for acceleration of unmodified network application binary code
- Acceleration of any existing network applications without changing a line of code
- Comprehensive integration of data plane network protocols with management plane functionality
- Substantial performance gains over native Linux network stack in layer 3 packet throughput and layer 4 protocols
- Accelerated DPI libraries running in the context of Wind River Application Acceleration Engine and DPDK, providing substantial performance gains
- Flexible configuration to work with multiple hardware platforms, data plane libraries, and multiple Linux distributions
- Scalability across network products from access to edge and core
- Advanced multi-core capabilities including CPU affinity
- Reduced bill-of-materials costs as a result of consolidating the management plane and data plane onto a single board
- Speedier time-to-market with comprehensive network acceleration functionality, pre-integration with hardware platforms, pre-integration with DPI solutions, and enhanced simulated interfaces enabling quicker development of test applications
Wind River Application Acceleration Engine has been extensively integrated and optimized with Intel's multi-core processors, communications platform, and Intel DPDK. These optimizations are generating significant performance advantages over standard Linux network stack benchmarks. The following are examples of the performance gains:
- Up to 200% performance gain for existing network applications with no code modification
- Up to 500% performance gain for network applications that specifically optimize for the engine
- Significant improvements for IP-forwarding, UDP, and TCP
- Reduced pattern-matching latency
- Substantially reduced data plane network application latency
Contact your Wind River representative for more information on how Application Acceleration Engine can improve your system's performance; or send an email to email@example.com.